A recap of our past events
- Monday 16 January Launch Night – 5.15-7: Room 203, 10 University Gardens
The launch will include a talk, wine reception and free copies of the first book club choice, Edith Wharton’s The Custom of the Country. All events are free and everyone is welcome.
- Monday 30 Jan, First Book Club Session (see our introduction of The Custom of the Country) 5.15-7: Room 203, 4 University Gardens
1st Book club session: Edith Wharton’s The Custom of the Country
Edith Wharton Writing competition deadline
- Wednesday 8 Feb, Transatlantic Modernisms Workshop, 2-5 pm: Yudowitz Seminar Room, Wolfson Medical Building, University of Glasgow
Talks on H.D., Gertrude Stein, Edith Wharton, Djuna Barnes
Elizabeth Anderson (University of Stirling)
Alex Goody (Oxford Brookes University)
Bryony Randall (University of Glasgow)
Virginia Ricard (University of Bordeaux-Montaigne)
- Monday 20 Feb, Second Book Club Session, 5.15-7: Room 203, 4 University Gardens
2nd Book club session: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Americanah
- Tuesday 28 Feb, Student Creative Writing Showcase, 7-9pm, the CCA Clubroom on Sauchiehall Street
In collaboration with the Scottish Writers’ Centre and hosted by author and poet Carolyn Jess-Cooke. You will have an opportunity to perform your submissions on the theme ‘Transatlantic Literary Women’. You can find our call for submissions on our Creative Writing page.
- Tuesday 14 March, ‘Angela Carter’s Female America: Apocalyptic and Artificial’, 5.15 – 7: rooms 202 and 203, 4 University Gardens
A talk by Dr. Heidi Yeandle (Swansea University)
- Monday 20th March: Third Book Club Session: 5.15 – 7pm, Room 203, 4 University Gardens
We will be discussing Nella Larsen’s Passing.
- Saturday 22nd April: Transatlantic Women in the Trenches: 2-5pm, Pollock Park, Glasgow G43
- Wednesday 26th April: Fourth Book Club Session: 5.15 – 7pm, Room 203, 4 University Gardens
We will be discussing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos.
- Tuesday 23rd May: Transatlantic Magazine Cultures: 5.15 – 7pm, Room 202, 4 University Gardens
A talk by Dr Rachael Alexander (University of Strathclyde). Refreshments will be available from 5pm.
- Saturday 3rd June: Glasgow Women’s Library Transatlantic Symposium: 10-4pm, Glasgow Women’s Library
Speakers include: Professor Melanie Dawson (William and Mary College, USA) and Professor Gary Totten (University of Nevada, Las Vegas). The event is free, but ticketed, so don’t forget to register!